Anxiety, depresion, ADHD, protruding discs, torn ACL and calf muscle, pin needles in head. Are these symptoms of multiple sclerosis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, i am 41 year old female. My medical history includes anxiety/depression and ADHD. Also, 2 protruding discs ( neck and back ) , a torn ACL and a torn calf muscle. I like to jog about 12-15 miles a week.

I am wondering about MS and think I may have it. For the last few days I have been getting these pins and needle like feeling in my head. It is worse when i wake up in the morning and feels a little better as the day goes on but still present. I also have these needle like pins running down my left leg which I have had for several years now.

I have no other symptoms , but when I google this it always comes up MS.

I have 3 friends with MS so I know it is a common disease. Do these symptoms sound like that?

Posted Sun, 24 Jun 2012 in Multiple Sclerosis
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
The pins and needles sensation in the head and running down the might be related to minor causes like vitamin B 12 deficiency or an electrolyte imbalance.
The protruding disc in your back might compress the nerve root causing this altered sensation.
You need to keep your body well hydrated with plenty of fresh fruit juices.
Regular intake of rejuvenating fluids might help. Apart from the sports drinks which contain glucose and electrolytes you must have enough water along with to avoid dehydration.
Taking vitamin B complex supplements and methylcobalamin supplements for at least two weeks regularly will help in reducing your problem.
It is right now too premature to conclude your symptoms to be related to multiple sclerosis.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Anxiety, depresion, ADHD, protruding discs, torn ACL and calf muscle, pin needles in head. Are these symptoms of multiple sclerosis? 40 minutes later
Thank you.

When you say ' too premature", what exactly do you mean? Do you think I could have MS if these symptoms persist?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
If the symptoms are persistent then multiple sclerosis may be one of the possibilities to be considered for your symptoms. Please do not worry. The chances of your symptoms to be due to vitamin B complex deficiency or electrolyte imbalances is far greater.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.