Anxiety, chest pain, heart racing, nausea, hot-cold flashes, sweaty palms and feet shaking. I need answers.

Hi I am 22 year old female, 5'6 and 140 lbs. I have had problems with anxiety like symptoms since I was 10. I went to the ER when I was ten feeling like I couldn't breathe when I was at the movies with my parents. I went to a cardiologist and had to wear a monitor for 10 days. Everything came back normal. Never felt that way again until I was 17. I went to the ER again with chest pain, heart racing, nausea, hot cold flashes, sweaty palms and feet, shakes. They said Anxiety, Ekg was normal. Well I have been to ER off and on and told I had a normal EKG until 21. At 21 my T wave has been off on the EKG. I have periods when I feel I cant breathe, chest pain, middle back pain and I feel I get light headed. I have this weird feeling in upper middle abdomen and I feel the need to burp. I have had stress test, one month heart monitor, xrays, blood work, ecko, and everything came back that it wasn't anything serious from the T wave being abnormal on my EKGs. I finally was just given 60 mg beta blocker, but I still dont feel good. I don't work out any more because I am scared, and I am always scared that something is wrong and that the DR. missed something. Do you have any ideas? I have had pain on right side as well sometimes I think maybe I should get my gall bladder checked out as well bc I know they can cause some of the symptoms I have. My dad has has open heart surgery and my mom, dad, sister have all had their gall bladder taken out. I need answers!
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query

Given the clinical scenario and the fact that all your investigations are normal, the diagnosis of generalized anxiety disorder seems likely. I encourage you to do a few things:

1) Focus on getting a healthy night of sleep each night.

2) Eat a well balanced diet.

3) Exercise daily - extremely important in anxiety management.

4) Consider meditation exercises.

5) Surround yourself with supportive friends and family.

Regarding the upper abdomen pain, it can be due to gastritis (acidity),so you could consider taking Tablet Tums 1 tablet daily for five days and observe for any changes.

You can even see a physician who can prescribe some anti-anxiety medications like selective serotonin uptake inhibitors along with behavioral therapy which would definitely help.
All of these things together will serve you well and I am confident you will feel healthier as days pass.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up query if any.