Anxiety, bipolar disorder, no spleen, taking highest dose of beta blockers, need ablation. Will I be approved?

Hi. I have serve svt I am bipolar and have extremely bad anxiety . I have no spleen therefor I am getting sick all the time. I am on the highest dose of beta blockers out there and I'm on many meds for my anxiety and bypolar. I have a 48 hour heart monitor on me as we sleek. The 5th one I've had in three years. I need to have an ablation done as soon as possible. Will I be aproved?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

You are suffering from SVT (Supraventricular tachycardia), anxiety, bipolar disease for which you are on medications. You also do not have a spleen, due to which you have frequent infections.

SVT causes increases heart rate which is bothersome in many patients. There are patients who are in SVT at least 90% of the day with high heart rates - such patients are at risk to develop tachycardiomyopathy in which case treatment is mandatory. Ablation can be curative.

Curative ablation for SVT is performed about 150,000 times annually in the US, in more than half of SVT patients where the mechanism is atrioventricular nodal re-entry (AVNRT).The highest chance of success is with AVNRT and it is around 98%.

The risk of the procedure in experienced hands is about 1%. Possible risks include minor events such as bleeding, infection, pain, vomiting, etc. More serious side effects include stroke, myocardial infarction, complete heart block requiring a permanent pacemaker, damage to heart valves, damage to blood vessels/nerves requiring an extended hospital stay.

The bottom line is if it improves the quality of your life, I think you should go ahead with this.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.