Anxiety and panic attacks. Getting tested for Pheochromocytoma. Can the increased hormone levels affect test result?

Hi doctor. I have been suffering from severy anxiety and panic attacks last six months. During the attack my bp which is normally low 96\66 jumps to 150 \100 and my pulse is 140. I start to sweat and feel extreme fear. My dr sent me to do 24 hour urine test. i did it yesterday. I am very afraid that I have pheochromocytoma and because of thet while doing the test I had extreme anxiety all day and night. My question is, will the anxiety and adrenaline being produced during those 24 hours affect my urine test. Will the show increased hormones even if I dont have pheochromocytoma. Thank you
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 6 hours later

I understand that you had been worked up for Pheochromocytoma. Your concern seems to be related to the anxiety and hormone levels.

Pheochromocytoma is a condition that results from excess secretion of adrenaline or noradrenaline from your adrenal or extra adrenal site. To diagnose this, initially we do a 24 hours urinary tests that measure various hormones and metabolites that are secreted by these glands.

Anxiety increases your adrenaline, but it is not so severe to affect your test results and you need not be worried.

If your urine levels are abnormal, then you would require further scanning and imaging studies to confirm things. Even if it is Pheochromocytoma, it is easily treatable and nothing to be concerned.

Regards and best wishes,