Anxiety and pain medication during pregnancy, abortion chances?

I just did a pregnancy test that was positive Sept 1 2011. I had my wisdom teeth removed under general anesthesia August 12 2011 and didn't know I was pregnant. The first day of my last period was July 21 2011. I was put on Amox- TR-K CLV on Aug 2 , Cephalexin 500mg 4x's a Aug 12 day and continued to take for 5 days and Ibuprofen 500mg 3x's a day. A few days before my wisdom tooth surgery I was was given xanax for anxiety and 10mg of Valium the night before surgery and the day of surgery. Since I had no idea I was pregnant at the time. I'm very concerned about the effects this could have on the pregnancy should I be concerned about any mental or physical deformities? Can this effect my pregnancy in anyway? I haven't had any spotting or bleeding or anything. What is your professional opinion?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 hours later

The antibiotics that you were prescibed- Amoxycillin, Clavulanic acid and Cephalexin- are considered a pregnancy Category B medicine by the United State Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This means that although the drug has not been studied in pregnant women, in animal studies, these drugs showed no negative effects on the fetus.

Valium, Xanax and Ibuprofen are FDA (Food and Drug Administration) pregnancy category D drugs. These should not be used during the pregnancy but a single dose taken on the night before surgery does not produce much effect on the fetus. Prolonged use of Ibuprofen may cause some congenital defects. I should not bother you as you have taken Ibuprofen for short period.

I would advise you to consult your Gynecologist, get yourself properly investigated to rule out any possible defects.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful.

I will be available for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Anxiety and pain medication during pregnancy, abortion chances? 2 hours later
Can you please answer my question about being put under general anesthesia for my wisdom tooth removal and any effects that can have on a fetus?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

There are many studies regarding the use of general anesthesia during pregnancy, but there is no causative association noted in regard to an increased birth defects and use of general anesthesia.

Study suggests, surgery with general anesthesia is associated with a increased incidence of spontaneous abortion. But in your case it carries a minimum risk, as the surgery you have undergone is not a major surgery. It requires short general anesthesia.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you a trouble free pregnancy.