Anxiety after meth use. Taking metoprolol to reduce HBP. Can I take passionfruit with metoprolol?

I have a question. Recently, I was forced by a few men to swallow loads of meth (note that i had never taken meth before the traumatizing incident) and i had a withdrawal a day after that. Now i have anxiety. I have been given metoprolol to reduce my highblood pressure. Can i take supplements like selenium and passionfruit with metoprolol?
Posted Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

The acute side effects of METH include tachycardia, hypertension, vasoconstriction, and sweating. The duration of the subjective effects is about hours to days. Higher doses caused intense, prolonged panic attacks and anxiety in stimulant-intolerant users or first time users like in your case.

Overdose of METH is a medical emergency and should be treated. Following broad steps are followed in management:
-Assessment of BP, Pulse and respiration. Investigation like serum electrolytes, liver/kidney function test and other test according yo examination. So, continue metoprolol as it reduce anxiety, palpitation and control BP.
-Maintain adequate hydration: So drink plenty of water.
-Treat concurrent complication: If present during examination.
-Treatment of psychiatric symptoms like anxiety by psychotropic medicines: For that Benzodiezepines group of medicines (like Clonazepam or Alprazolam) can be used for short term after prescription from physicians.

Metoprolol is used in high blood pressure, atrial fibrillation/flutter, tachycardia, heart rate irregular, heart palpitations, heart rate increased.

Selenium is used in selenium deficiency, autoimmune thyroiditis, nutritional support, routine health maintenance, benign prostatic hyperplasia, supplementation therapy.

Passion fruit is high in beta carotene, ascorbic acid, potassium, lycopene, and dietary fibre. It is good for people who have high blood pressure.

There is no good research regarding interaction between metoprolol, passionfruit and selenium. In my view follow above steps to control symptoms and avoid supplements for some time.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal
Follow-up: Anxiety after meth use. Taking metoprolol to reduce HBP. Can I take passionfruit with metoprolol? 13 hours later
Thank you, doctor. When will my anxiety/panic attack go away after the meth withdrawal? I swallowed meth once in my life which got me overdosed.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 3 hours later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up,

Anxiety/panic due to effect of meth last for 1-2 week.

Sometimes persons develop meth induced anxiety disorder which usually last for few months (exact duration can not be predicted in such cases.

Wish you good health.