Anus itchy, scaldy and stingy, timodine.

Oncologist
Question
Hi, i am a 42 yr old male . i suffer from a itchy, scaldy, stingy anus... a few years ago i was prescribed timodine - which did work well.. but now it is no longer available.. is there an alternative ?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

The most likely cause of the symptoms what you are experiencing is related to hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids are swellings of veins in the area of the anus which can become sometimes painful and itchy. There can sometimes be a stinging sensation as well with bowel movements.

The best treatment for this usually includes a topical medication and possibly a suppository. I usually recommend a topical medication such as Preparation H. There are many different generic varieties of this medication. The main active ingredient is hydrocortisone. The hydrocortisone service to decrease inflammation and help with the itching. In addition I usually recommend that patients with persistent symptoms use a suppository once or twice per month. This generally provides good results for these patients.

Again I thank you for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address of them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert.

Follow-up: Anus itchy, scaldy and stingy, timodine. 5 days later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX ,
I have tried some preparation H for last few days..
When first applied there is quite a strong stinging sensation which lasts for about 5 -10 seconds , then it goes away.. Is this normal ??
I think i may have some sweat rash going on there as well ??
The itch has eased a little which is good..

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 10 hours later
Hello and thanks for the follow up query.

The sting is not uncommon and generally does go away within a minute or so. I am glad to hear the itching is improving as well. This is a sign that the haemorrhoids are shrinking.

As for the sweat rash this can be treated with an over the counter preparation such as Clotrimazole cream - available at the pharmacy as well.

I am here for you if you have any additional followups as well.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Anus itchy, scaldy and stingy, timodine. 14 hours later
thanks,,
should i alternate both the preparation h and the Clotrimazole cream..
maybe one at night and the other in the morning ??
whats your recommendation ?

Hello again.

I recommend the PrepH after each bowel movement. The clotrimazole should otherwise be used twice daily.

I hope this continues to be helpful for you. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga