Antinuclear antibodies test done for lung infection. Is the report normal?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
why is an antinuclear antibodies test done and what do the results mean above 320? this test was done for a lung infection? that is getting better but not righ yet..
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Antinuclear antibodies(ANA) areantibodies are used as a part of an evaluation for possible autoimmune disease. Doctors usually do it when there is a suspicion about such diseases and lung inflammation can be one sign of it.

Most common autoimmine disorders with positive XXXXXXX test are Systemic lupus and Rheumatoid arthritis, less common are Scleroderma, Sjögren's syndrome, Mixed dermatomyositis.

It can affect almost every organ in our body, because those antibodies damage our healthy cells. Depending on this here are many symptoms which can lead us to right diagnosis. Usually it is some kind of artritis, often lungs and urinary infections, fever, headache, skin erithemas, abdominal nonspecfic pain.
1:320 is increased titer of XXXXXXX and it is considered that there is medium possibility of having autoimmune disorder, but it doesnt mean that you have any of diseases ive mentioned. Severity of problem depends on severity of symptoms. At your age rheumatohid artritis usually starts,but it develops through many years(10-20).
I suggest to do careful analysing of your symtoms in future and if you ntice any new ones you should do further testing for particular autoimmune disease.

DO you have any other symptom, skin, joint, thyroid, urinary? Is this first time having lung infection and is the exact caustive agent isolated? These are answers which can be helpful.

WIsh I ve been helpful. If you have any questions you can ask me.