Antifungals do not help for white spots in back of throat. What to do?

the antifungals do not seem to be working for the white spots in the back of my throat which started after taking antibiotics also have a few other whte pots in my mouth no sore throat no fever.had my dentist check said he did not see any cancer .have apt Monday ear nose/throat dr.any suggestion? I am of course worried
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Causes and treatment listed for your reference sir Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I have gone through your query and I think the most helpful information would be a list of causes that could result in a presentation similar to yours. According to this list we can then decide on what treatment would help, what should be considered and what can be ruled out. The possible causes are: -Oral thrush (treated with anti-fungal medication like miconazole, fluconazole, clotrimazole, nystatin, etc.) -Tonsillitis (treated with antibiotics or anti-viral medication) -Strep throat (treated with antibiotics. To find the most effective antibiotic to treat the condition, an oral swab test should be conducted and sent to the laboratory for a culture examination, which will return with the required results. As many individuals can be resistant to numerous antibiotics) -Mononucleosis (viral infection treated with anti-viral medication) -Leukoplakia (treated with anti-viral medication and removal of the patches) -Cancer (rare) As you can see from the above listed causes, your treatment regimen targets the treatment of only a few conditions. Even the antibiotics used by you could have been resistant, and so I would recommend a culture investigation as suggested earlier to find the most effective antibiotic that can be used and also anti-viral medication if the cause is found to be from a viral source. I hope you found my response both helpful an informative sir. Please discuss all the above mentioned conditions with your doctor, and request for a most accurate diagnosis. Please also feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.