Antibody test shows negative and pct rna test (virus load) is less than 20 virus copy/ml after exposure. What does this mean?

I have incident contact needle tick with positive hiv person .at 8 month later I did antibody test is negative but I fid pct rna test (virus load ) risult in less than 20 virus coppy / ml .so what that mean doctotr .I so worry .thank doctor .
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Please undergo a DNA PCR test Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Needle stick injury from an HIV infected person carries 0.3 % risk of acquiring HIV infection.(ie 3 in every 1000 needle pricks). Now coming to the test results. The HIV antibody test detects the antibody to HIV virus in the circulation. Antibodies are immune cell produced by the body to fight the virus. Its positivity establishes the presences of infection. Its negativity may be due to window period or no infection. RNA PCR is a test which detects the viral particles whether dead or alive. By all standards the viral load is very low. This amount of viral load may not be able to produce and clinical HIV symptoms. But ideally it should be undetectable in an HIV negative individual. As for my opinion you may be having Sub clinical HIV infection. For confirmation my advice for you is to undergo a DNA PCR test. It is a diagnostic test which detects the replicating virus and shows active infection. If the DNA test is also positive than consult your doctor and request for HAART(Highly active Anti Retro Viral Therapy). This will help to reduce to viral load further and keep the infection under control. Hope the answer helps you. Let me know if there is any clarification. Regards.