Anterior and posterior spinal fusion done. Have numbness in arm. How to develop tricep and deltoid?

Spine Surgeon
I recently had spinal fusion both anterior and posterior. C-3 through T-2. I am having problems getting information on rehab for the massive amount of muscle that was cut in the procedure on the posterior side. my back from shoulder to shoulder to the middle of my back will need alot of rehab. i am a 55yr old male, who has worked as a heavy plate welder for 30yrs so the back and shoulders were very muscular. I still have partial numbness in the right arm, mostly affecting the deltoid and triceps. this was explained prior to surgery that would be the case. the original injury was an MVA which injured the cervical area around c-4 - c-6 which led to stenosis on both sides of the injury causing the numbness in rt arm and hence surgery or face slow paralization of the rt side of my body. I have discussed this with the in house rehab people and believe they are clearly not set up for this type or amount of solid rehab. maybe the surgeon has another option, but for now I need a solid workout plan in these areas. also, will I be able to regenerate the deltiod and tricep muscles?
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 2 hours later

This is a quite long spine so that bone healing takes place. If it has been few weeks then I would suggest to go slow and do routine exercise but avoid heavy work outs.

If it’s been months then how is the recent X-ray looks like? Is your doctor happy with the bone healing?

In this case, you can start gradual work out to develop the tricep and deltoid. Again, you have stenosis from C4-6 levels, which supplies your deltoids, biceps and triceps, and nerve function returns over a period and it is a gradual process.

I would suggest to keep patience and over a period you should be able to work out to develop those muscles. However most important is that the bone healing should occur in time.