Ant bites on hand & back, allergic to ant bites, swollen with liquid filled, spreading all over body, red spots on tongue. Scabies?

Question
My son is almost two he had ants bites on his hand and a few on his back. It started spreading and getting worse about a week later. He does get a reaction to ant bites they swell up and have clear liquid in them. But now it's everywhere. I was told it was scabies but he also has red spots on tongue and scabies don't go in mouth. Plus me and my other son r not showing any signs of scabies. What can it be.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 30 minutes later

Such types of itchy rash which appears suddenly and spreads on the whole body can be due to an allergic reaction causing hives or viral rashes. It does not look like scabies which basically involves the finger webs, toes or abdomen. The main complaint you would have written is 'constant itch and scratching'. So you might be right that is not scabies.

The standard treatment of hives and itchy viral rashes is oral antihistaminics and topical steroids. They are easily curable and 100%. Oral antihistaminics relieve itching and you can get them over the counter but some of them may cause drowsiness and moreover since your child is just 2 years old, hence it should be taken under a medical guidance. Though over the counters are available, it is good to avoid self medication for a kid.

Topical steroids is available by prescription from a dermatologist.

In addition you can apply calamine lotion which will help in soothing the skin and give him foods XXXXXXX in vitamin C which is a general anti-allergy supplement. It helps stabilize mast cells so they are less likely to release histamine. You can also give a diet XXXXXXX in vitamin C like citrus fruits, oranges, papaya, grapefruit, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries, and pineapple.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. Please accept my answer if you do not have follow up.

Wishing your child a good health.

Follow-up: Ant bites on hand & back, allergic to ant bites, swollen with liquid filled, spreading all over body, red spots on tongue. Scabies? 19 hours later
Now my other son has them too on his feet

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 7 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

You should get your son examined by a dermatologist and get viral rashes ruled out. Till then apply calamine lotion and give him antihistaminics after prescription.

To rule out scabies completely, diagnosis is made by scraping the skin and viewing the material under a microscope to see the characteristic mite or eggs. Although a less likely possibility, you can get it ruled out from a dermatologist.

Hope this answers your query.

Wishing your child a good health.