Anomaly scan done during the 24 week pregnancy. Situs inversus totalis in the report. Can we continue pregnancy?

Infertility Specialist
my wife under went a 24 week anomoly scan today and the scan says situs inversus totalis. Is it safe to continue pregnancy. can the child born lead normal life without any problems
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

Situs inversus totalis is a condition where major visceral organs inside the body are reversed (mirrored). This is a rare condition. Example: heart is on right side,liver on left, spleen on right etc.. The child might be normal and compatible with life if no other anomalies are present. But some times it is associated with other congenital anomalies which need to be carefully ruled out.

There is possibility of some congenital anomalies. Some of them are heart defects like Transposition of great vessels (TGA), Kartagener's syndrome (ciliary dyskinesia) etc... Some of the anomalies are life threatening. Please get further investigations like Fetal echocardiogram and chromosomal analysis to be sure before decision is taken about continuing the pregnancy.

Please visit a fetal medicine specialist in your town who can guide you about how to go about evaluating the associated anomalies of situs inversus totalis.

Hope I have answered your query. please write back to me if you have further queries.

Wish you all the best

Dr.Mahesh Koregol