Ankles are swollen and painful, suggested water pills diurex but no help. Further?

Hi... I'm a 54yo c/f 5.5 122# no Rx. My ankles are swollen...and painful... getting worse as day progresses: Heat has been excessive in SoCal,(90*) and I have no a/c. CVS pharmacy suggested water pills: diurex 50mg gel caps: not helping. I regularly drink 75oz water daily. What else can I do?
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It seem like dependent edema due to kidney issues.

Detailed Answer:

I am dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to address your concern.

It seems like their are some issues with your kidney, its loosing too much of protein in urine.
I advice you to have your self checked. You need urine test to see if their is some kind of protein loosing issues in urine.

Now to answer your question what else can be done. You are taking diurex as mentioned and its not helping.

Here are some other treatment that may help.

1) Movement- Moving and using the muscles in the part of your body affected by edema may help pump the excess fluid back to your heart.

2) Elevation- Hold the swollen part of your body above the level of your heart for at least 30 minutes three or four times a day.

3)Massage - Stroking the affected area toward your heart using firm, but not painful, pressure may help move the excess fluid out of that area.

4) Compression - wear compression stockings, sleeves or gloves. These garments keep pressure on your limbs to prevent fluid from collecting in the tissue.

5) Reduce salt intake.

Thanks for the query. Please feel free to contact me in case of any further concerns.