Ankle was hit. Had huge bump with swelling and bruising. Anything to worry?

General Surgeon
My XXXXXXX was hit by my 6-month old, 53 lbs Lab running full tilt. I had a huge bump, which reduced by using ice. However, I still have a lump with some bruising but my ankle in swelling and bruising--is there need to worry?
Posted Tue, 2 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 33 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Bruising and swelling in ankle area can be caused by soft tissues trauma, bones fracture, blood collection in soft tissues or even veins thrombosis.

Soft tissues blood collection if is large enough can cause pus collection and lead to serious infection of this area. That is why, hematoma if present, should be incised and drained.

Veins thrombosis is a serious condition caused by blood clot in the vein. Due to this condition the blood can not flow through the vein. This gives swelling, pain while walking, hard calf muscle. Please make a simple test. Extend your leg fully in the knee and flex the foot down. If you find it painful, thrombosis is possible.

Bones fracture should be always ruled out as it might need some splint to heal property.

I suggest you to visit your doctor, have physical examination, ankle X-ray. In case of thrombosis suspicion, Dopplers ultrasound should be done. If hematoma is possible, soft tissues ultrasound should be done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.