Ankle twisted. Swelling and pain in heel and ankle. How long will it take to get cured?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Ten years ago my wife twisted her ankle stepping off the curb. Lately she has had pain in her heel and the ankle has been a bit swollen. The podiatrist gave her a shot of cortisone in that area because he said there was inflammation in the ankle and tendons. We were amazed that 10 years later there could be this kind of condition. How long does this kind of problem take to heal, or does it never fully heal?
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 27 minutes later
It seems that your wife is having a post traumatic inflammation in her ankle joint. It can aggravate whenever there is a stress around that joint. Most commonly it is seen when there is a mild malunion at the original site of injury. The fibrous tissue that is formed has lesser elasticity and swelling is seen whenever there is overuse.
Most of the times, it can be taken care of by mild analgesics like motrin and hot fomentation around the area. Applying a local analgesic gel will also be helpful.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Ankle twisted. Swelling and pain in heel and ankle. How long will it take to get cured? 16 minutes later
Thank you. Now does this condition never improve?
And on the matter of osteoarthritis destruction of cartilage in joints, is there any realistic hope of restoration of the cartilage with natural supplements?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
We cannot revert back the damage that has already been caused by the injury or the degenerative osteoarthritis. With the help of medicines, only the further damage can be prevented. Taking joint lubricant supplementation like Glucosamine sulfate or chondroitin will help her. You can get these prescribed in appropriate doses from her orthopedician.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.