Ankle swelling due to blood pressure medicine, splotchy blood marks, no pain or sensitivity, Could tight shoes be blocking blood flow?

Dermatologist
Question
I take blood pressure medicine that causes some level of daily swelling around my ankles. Most days there is a puffiness by the end of the day. Tight dress shoes often seem to increase the swelling. After a night's sleep, the swelling generally is gone. I am traveling now and wearing walking/trail type shoes. I am walking a great deal each day. There is now what looks like internal bleeding higher above the ankle and at the level of the top of the sock line (most pronounced there). The bleeding is ONLY on the interior of the ankles and not on the outside of the legs. There are splotchy like blood marks in evidence below that more intense area. There is neither pain nor sensitivity to touch. I will be returning to the USA on Saturday morning.
1. Could the more tight fitting shoes be blocking blood flow that ordinarily resulted in puffiness and now XXXXXXX bleeding?
2. I am wearing new socks (some type of high performance synthentic designed to make your feet cooler). Could there be an allergic reaction?
3. Is there some thing more serious possible that could cause blood clots while flying home from Europe?

Thank you for your counsel.
Posted Mon, 4 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 1 hour later
Hello

Thanks for writing in.

I appreciate the clear pics you have attached.

The blood clots (purpura) may be due to a condition called the Pigmented Purpuric Dermatoses or Schamberg's disease.

It is not a serious condition at all and is quite common in the middle age group and the elderly. It occurse becuase of slight inflammation of the fine capillaries and is aggravated by physical stress.
The spots clear on their own in some time. Often they may leave a black XXXXXXX which resolves very gradually.

The second possibility may be of venous stasis (sluggish blood flow) in the legs.
Actually this condition explains your foot swellings too.

DO you notice any enlarged veins on your legs?

This condition is diagnosed by a test called the Color Doppler.
You must see a dermatologist once you return home.

This seems unrelated to your allergic reaction to your socks.

I do not anticipate anything acutely serious with this. However it should be evaluated as soon as possible.

I hope I have answered your query. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask me,

Thanks

Follow-up: Ankle swelling due to blood pressure medicine, splotchy blood marks, no pain or sensitivity, Could tight shoes be blocking blood flow? 15 minutes later
THERE IS NO VEIN ELEVATION OF ANY KIND. NOTHING IS VISIBLE. YOUR DIAGNOSIS SEEMS REASONABLE. I HAVE ALSO FORWARDED IMAGES TO MY PHYSICIAN IN USA. I WILL FORWARD YOUR DIAGNOSIS AS WELL. LASTLY, AFTER TESTS ARE.COMPLETE MAY I SEND YOU RESULTS?

KIND REGARDS,
XXXXXXX MILIVOJEVIC

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 14 minutes later
Yes, Sure.
that will be so kind of you.

I will await your test results...

Thanks