Ankle surgery,four interrupted sutures removed,blood on gauze,scab near the sutures place

I had ankle surgery two weeks ago, and had the four interrupted sutures removed four days ago. There was a small amount of blood (4 mm) on the gauze afterwards....normal. Today I woke up after sleeping in the "boot", and there was a similar little blood spot on a new piece of gauze coming from the same area as before. There is a scab in this area which is where one of the sutures went in; it is not bleeding now. It is not associated with the incision site, and there are no signs of infection. It may have rubbed on the boot in the night as I slept.....not sure. Would this small amount of blood be considered WNL at this point?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 minutes later
Hello and thank you for your query.

The blood you are seeing is not particularly concerning in this setting. It is certainly possible that the boot may have rubbed against the area near the scab and triggered the bleeding.

At this point, I would take care to try and not disturb the area around the scab as this will certainly heal in the coming days. It is not uncommon to see a bit of bleeding around a site where a suture was removed.

In the unlikely event that you see more significant bleeding or if any redness, swelling or tenderness develops around the site of surgery - that would be a cause of concern.

It looks as if otherwise your recovery is coming along well! I wish you continued good success in your recovery and continued excellent health. I hope this has been informative and adequate regarding your concern. I am available for followups if needed.

Dr. Robert Galamaga
Follow-up: Ankle surgery,four interrupted sutures removed,blood on gauze,scab near the sutures place 22 minutes later
Thank you very much for your time....I think I needed reassurance. Just to be sure, a small amount of blood, from the area of suture removal several days later, is not cause for concern at this point. Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 10 hours later
Hello again.
That is correct. A small amount of blood from the suture site is no cause for alarm.

Thank you again for your query and take good care.

Dr. Galamaga