Ankle plaster feeling tight. Is this what should happen?

Question
Hi doctor, I recently fratured my ankle. it is at present in plaster from surgerty (orif) the plaster is due to come of 6th Sept, the plaster I have on is starting to feel tight, it was put on thursday 16th aug, is this what should happen? my email address is YYYY@YYYY . ps what sort of treatment will be next after the plaster has come of
Posted Thu, 20 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 58 minutes later

The plaster is expected to give some discomfort from few days after applied.

After surgery and injury, there is some amount of swelling at the site of injury and due this you feel some what tightening.

Ideally this should be gone by now. As you are still having problem, please talk to your doctor and get your self examined.

Please look for color of toe in feet and try to look any signs of any compression. In case you have problem and not feeling comfortable, please do not ignore and visit your doctor.

In general after plaster is taken off, you will be advised set of exercise to get rid of stiffness and restore normal movements of the joint.

At times, depending upon the problems you may be advised physiotherapy by therapist also.

I hope this helps.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Ankle plaster feeling tight. Is this what should happen? 2 hours later
thank you for your reply. the only thing I would say it feels as if the plaster has tightned. I can still move the toes

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 57 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

In case the discomfort is mild you can continue it.

Please look for

Discoloration of nails in toes
Redness and increasing pain in toes
Feeling heavy and having continuous pain,may be mild that bothers you in plaster foot.

In presence of any of above you should consult your doctor.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Ankle plaster feeling tight. Is this what should happen? 7 days later
thank you for your email. Please could you answer one more question for me. I have to go to my local hospital on wed to have plaster of, can you tell me if the gauze they put on can stick to the wound after they have taken the stiches out, also can the protection they put on the leg before pop can that cause problems? thank you

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Good to hear from you again.

Normally if there is some discharge from the wound after removal stitches ,the gauze can stick at times.

Still this is never a major issue and can not lead to any problem causing any sort of difficulty.

The same applies to the cover that is put before the cast is applied.

Do not worry,go as per the plan and things will be fine.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Ankle plaster feeling tight. Is this what should happen? 1 hour later
thank you, as I have never had a injury like this before can you feel the plate and screws that have been fitted?

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 4 minutes later

In normal case they are not felt.

In cases where the the bone is not XXXXXXX you may able to feel their presence.In routine while doing movements there are not felt and will not lead to any problem or discomfort.

bye.

Dr.Pragnesh