Ankle pain, burning calf, MRI showed soft tissue swelling. Is therapy good for this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have pain around the outside of my right ankle area. A burning sensation in calf area. I had a MRI and it only showed soft tissue swelling. It hurts to move my ankle and muscles feel tight . There is some swelling and bruising . I have seen a podiatrist and am wearing a walking boot . She feels it may be something wrong with a nerve - causing all the issues since there is no tears or fractures seen from the MRI - is therapy good for this or is it something more?
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Since there is a history of twisted ankle, the appearance of such swelling is usually due to a inflammation.
The main treatment of such inflammatory swelling is pain killers, anti inflammatory drugs, rest to the ankle joint and hot fomentation. You can keep the leg raised on two pillows while resting.
Once the acute pain and swelling subsides and the bruise resolves, physiotherapy is advisable to restore the joint mobility. You can use the boot and get the necessary medicines prescribed from an orthopedician after a direct examination.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.