Ankle is hurting while running. Aching badly. Treatment?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Thanks.... my son plays football... just turned 14.... his right ankle is hurting him... he did not hurt it that he knows of.... it is not a twisted ankle, etc.. .but does not hurt him during the day...only when he runs... he describes the hurt as a bad ache inside his ankle..... he can still run...says it just hurts... than about 1/2 hours after practice..the ache goes away..... been aching him... for about two weeks now.... bad enough he wants to see a doctor

Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could be possibly a FOOT BALLER'S ANKLE

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Ankle pain is very common in foot ballers owing to the nature of the sport which involves more activity occuring at the level of the ankle in the tendons and ligaments and hence the term FOOT BALLER'S ANKLE was coined.

I feel that your son could have suffered injury either to the tendons or ligaments in the front or the lateral side of ankle resulting in pain.

An MRI scan of the ankle joint will diagnose all the soft tissue problems inside the joint.

I suggest you to consult an orthopedic sports medicine specialist for further evaluation and management.

In the meantime, please follow the below mentioned measures to get rid of the pain -

REST : Rest is crucial for the injury to heal. After stopping playing, try to walk on it as little as possible until the swelling goes down and its pain-free to walk.
ICE : Wrap the ankle with an ice filled polythene bag. Use ice packing once in 2 hours.
COMPRESSION : Use an Elastic compression bandage around the ankle in a snug fitting way (not too tight so as to cause vascular comprise)
ELEVATION : Try to keep your ankle elevated most of the times a day with few pillows or cushions underneath your leg.
ANALGESICS : Use analgesic antiinflammatory medicines like Advil or Aleve as needed to reduce the pain and inflammation.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further.