Ankle and lower leg is red, swollen, sore to touch and little bumps. Cause and treatment?

General Surgeon
Question
I have right ankle and lower leg that is red inflamed, swollen, sore to touch, little bumps, blotchy.,,,,,started on inside of ankle and spread. Help.
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Veins thrombosis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Can you please attach a photo of it?

This sounds like a veins thrombosis. Due to blood clot appearance in the vein, it gets obstructed and inflamed. Most common symptoms of it are hard calf, redness, pain especially when moving it. The led should get warm, warmer than the other one.

As you have had lungs thrombosis in the past, the risk of it again is high. I suggest you to visit your doctor as soon as possible. Blood work, D-dimers, INR should be checked and Dopplers ultraosund should be done. Inferior vena cava filter insertion is strongly advisable at your case.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Ankle and lower leg is red, swollen, sore to touch and little bumps. Cause and treatment? 15 minutes later
INR yesterday was high @ 4.7. Lung blood clots apparently were caused by knee replacement surgery. Calf is not hard. Ankle hurts when I walk.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hematoma.

Detailed Answer:
Is there any bruising in the pain area? With such high INR bleeding and hematoma is very possible reason of your pains. This condition should be also treated as soon as possible. Hematoma if left untreated can become an abscess and lead to sepsis, tissues compression and necrosis. Soft tissues ultrasound, and incision should be done.

Regards.

Follow-up: Ankle and lower leg is red, swollen, sore to touch and little bumps. Cause and treatment? 45 hours later
Was worse Sat. morning. Went to ER. It is cellulitis. On antibotics. Affected area has gone up from ankle to knee.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Well, I hope doctors are sure about this diagnosis. Cellulitis does not appear without a reason. Was there any ultrasound done? Veins thrombosis and hematoma should be ruled out as cellulitis can be present with this conditions as well.

Regards.

Follow-up: Ankle and lower leg is red, swollen, sore to touch and little bumps. Cause and treatment? 26 hours later
I saw my doctor today. Said no further testing is needed on ankle and leg. It is healing and will be fine after I finish antibiotics.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
OK, hope you will be fine soon.
Regards.