Angioplasty, physical exercise, sexual activities, weight loss, quitting alcohol, smoking

I had angioplasty a month before & has resumed normal work.Prior to that i was regular in walking exercise & some exercise in gym as to chest or muscles.Can i resume that? I have a good sex life also & do not have problems in erection.Can i resume that? My age is 49 and i am treated for hypertention with medicine for last 5 years.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prasad 5 hours later

Angioplasty holds no restrictions on physical exercise and sexual activities. Let the heart rate not exceed 145 beats per minute.

Most patients get back to their activities in 2-3 weeks following angioplasty. Since it has been a month, you should not have any problems getting back to your exercises. Though, I recommend you to start of with routine activities and mild exercises and gradually proceed to physical exercise and gyming. You may start off with regular walking for a short period of time and then slowly increase the duration. If there is no pain, then proceed to other physical exercises. Report back to your doctor, if unusual symptoms such as chest pain, breathing difficulties, etc occur.

Avoid very strenuous physical exercises at gym such as lifting weights, abdominal exercises.

Weight losing physical exercises, quitting smoking and alcohol along with dietary modifications are highly recommended after post angioplasty.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to follow up questions too.