Angiogram revealed normal coronary arteries. What does moderately impaired apical akinesia, mild aortic stenosis mean.?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Question
What does moderately impaired apical akinesia, mild aortic stenosis mean.? Angiogram revealed normal coronary arteries.
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

It looks like you had a heart attack at sometime and that is what is causing the apical akinesia and quite possible for people to have heart attack and nothing seen on angiogram. Mild aortic stenosis means your valve controlling blood flow from left ventricle to whole of the body is narrower than what it should be.
And what I understand from your description of your cardiologist it looks like you must be suffering from some arrythmias.
Generally people who don't have major symptoms prior to diagnosis will always feel bad and symptomatic with medicines, but fortunately it subsides in few days and you will start feeling good again.

If persistent go back to your cardiologist and he should be able to modify treatment.
If you need further clarification please attach all your reports from the hospital

Follow-up: Angiogram revealed normal coronary arteries. What does moderately impaired apical akinesia, mild aortic stenosis mean.? 1 hour later
Will my cardiac condition cause problems during surgery on my spine. I would prefer to address the cholesterol and blood pressure problem with diet and life style. I was not given any advice at all and I have no reports from hsp. I didnotsee the cardiac consultant and I do not have to return to the hsp unti sept. in fact I know very little hitch is why I asked you for an explanation. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 16 hours later
Hi again,

With all details you have provided there doesn't seem to major concern for your surgery. But with your wall motion abnormality and symptoms I consider it to appropriate for you to be on medicines.

Follow-up: Angiogram revealed normal coronary arteries. What does moderately impaired apical akinesia, mild aortic stenosis mean.? 6 hours later
Ok I will stay on the medicines as you have advised. I intend to address my cholesterol level and hopefully my blood pressure ,although I have never hadany problem with my blood pressure previously. I find it incredible that I had a cervical laminectomy in January and yet none of these cardiac problems were spotted.will these cardiac symptoms improve over time or has my life style changed permanently.i live on my own and had been independent. I will contact my GP ( have a newly qualified GP) and see if he can adjust my medication so that I am not having these side effects;-muscle cramps in legs causing sleepless XXXXXXX breathlessness when I wake upl tearful for no reason and my legs have blown up. I've now been on this medication for 3/4 months so I should be feeling better surely.Thankyou for your patience and explanation,hopefully I will start to feel more like my old self soon.

Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 6 hours later
Good that you decided to be on medicines. Yes apart from need for medicines nothing much should change. You should continue being as you were before. be in regular touch with GP and he should be able to fine tune your treatment to make your comfortable.
Good luck