Anger, depression, pain in septum, narrow nose. Had plastic nose surgery, poorly performed. Should I go for another surgery?

I had a poorly performed plastic nose surgery 10 years ago. I did not look my correct ethnicity after the surgery. My nose was upturned and pig like. The prominent bridge was now concave and ski slope. My nose was too narrow and the nostrils were no longer flared. I had a revision but I am not happy with the result to this day. I also broke my nose after the revision in an vicious assault. My nose is crooked, I cannot breathe properly, and I hate my nasal appearance. I feel emasculated as my nose is not Indian or ethnic. Am I a good candidate for more nose surgery or is this BDD? I also have pain in my septum and have suffered from 10 years of anger, depression, and self loathing due to my appearance. I feel I look abnormal and have rage towards the surgeon as I believe he was unqualified and ignorant hence the damage and suffering. Please reply promptly and with as much detail. Thanks for the response.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Hebbar 3 hours later

Two points about your nose are clear from your account. You are not satisfied with the appearance of your nose and you have a breathing problem.

There is no set standard to measure good look. Is this your personal evaluation or many people say it? If you ask 10 people to rate (on a scale of 0 to 10) your beauty of your nose, what ratings you will get?

In case, if you get an average rating, chances that you have BDD (therapy (cognitive behavior therapy) or medication, by reducing your preoccupation with nose.

If the rating is poor, indicating a real bad look, then the problem can be solved in 2 ways. Take opinion of 3 plastic surgeons and if all recommend corrective surgery, then undergo it. If 2 surgeons say no, then don't go for it. This situation calls for acceptance of problem.

Few days back, I read in a news paper about a young lady, a victim of acid attack on the face, running an institution to help such people. If she can accept her burnt face, why not you? Again help is available from psychologist or psychiatrist.

Difficulty in breathing: Is it in your nose or in throat or chest? Anxiety can also cause breathing trouble.

Your frustrations and depression can be helped by psychiatrist or psychologists. If you keep worrying about missing one bus, you will miss another too.

I hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.