Aneurysm. Pimple resemblance? Result of weight lifting?

can an aneurysm in the neck feel like a pimple or ingrown hair and if so what would happen if i was squeezing it trying to pop it before i thought about that? Did a weight lifting workout too intense for my body today and i think it may have caused this.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Narasimha Murthy 2 hours later

I do not think your symptoms are related to aneurysm. I have not experienced a neck aneurysm presenting in the form of ingrown hair or pimple. I think you are too much worried. You should leave it alone.

The aneurysms are the swellings of a weak blood vessel vessel wall. The anuersym may present in different forms depending on the site where they arise.

Let me explain,

1.The anuersyms arising out of the capillaries, very smallest blood vessel can present as pimple or red patch. Since the capillaries are embeded in the skin they may sometime present as pimple or red patch.

2.Squeezing those type of swelling would not a good idea,as sometimes it may bleed excess.

3.In the neck they present as large swellings,pulsating with your heartbeat, which is rare and not likely in your case. Exercise doesn't give rise to such things either, especially in the young.

Hope I have answered all your queries and I would be available for the follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Aneurysm. Pimple resemblance? Result of weight lifting? 4 hours later
i know its not a pimple. theres not a white head or redness. i just thought it felt that way when i first ran my finger over it. even in rare cases of neck aneurysms, do they start out large and pulsing? or could it start as a small lump?
Answered by Dr. Narasimha Murthy 19 hours later

Thanks again.

Aneurysms can present as small lumps which are evidently pulsating .A mass/lump felt in the neck, if it isn't pulsating, then it is not likely to be an aneurysm.

The commonest cause of small lump (nodule) felt in the neck is enlarged lymphnode which is generally insignificant. Nevertheless popping / squeezing it, is not a good idea at all.

You will need to observe it. Report to a doctor for evaluation if an increase in size or secondary changes occur.

Hope my answer is both assuring and informative.

Wish you good health