Anemic and having excessive bruise. CBC done for neutrophil and monocytes. Worrisome

Geriatrics Specialist
I recently had a CBC which my doctor declared was normal. However, there were somethings that were classified as "Outside Normal Limits" on the side of the paper.

My total over all WBC was 10.1. It says normal range is 4.0-10.8.

Now, my neutrophils came up as 7.07 (normal range ending at 7.0)

And my Monocytes came up as 0.81 when normal ends at (0.80)

I live in Canada if that means anything in terms of standards. My doctor shrugged it off and has no plans to repeat. I have been having excessive bruising and am anemic. My levels in a previous CBC were much more normal. I've had my thyroid checked and it's normal.

Should I be worried?
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 22 minutes later
Hi there,
As far as your neutrophil and monocytes are concerned, it's normal. A slight variation is not something you need to be worried about as it varies on different individuals.
I would agree with your physician that a repeat test is not needed and this in no way is related to your bruising.
As far as the anemia is concerned, I hope you have been receiving the right treatment. For the bruising, has a platelet count and PT/APTT been done for you?
A diet XXXXXXX in iron (plenty of poultry, jaggery) can help the anemia.
Hope that helps
Let me know if you have any more questions