Anal itching, burns if scratched. What can I do?

I have anal itching in the last six months. if i scratch it, burns a lot. What can i do?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 26 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Pruritis ani - in your case since 6 months is a cause of concern. Because, the most natural causes like poor hygiene, moisture, clothes, irritation are ruled out and more concerning causes like skin infections, piles, other medical reasons are to be blamed.

You would need a dermatologist/proctologist's check up soon.

Do not use any over the counter creams/lotions now, just keep the area clean and dry till then. Clip your nails and keep them neat.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.