Anal fissure,lump,rectogesic cream,bleeding,infection,swelling,overweight

I was diagnosed with a anal fissure and an infected anal 'sinus' causing a largish lump near (behind) my anus (He said a pungent liquid would come from this and it would go down after a while). My doctor also told me that this was common and to use a rectogesic cream daily to stimulate blood flow and fix the fissure (I stopped using this a few days ago in case it was causing the bleeding, nothing seems to have changed though). On a recent trip i spent a lot of time sitting on a train and the pressure from the infection was annoying me. That evening i noticed some blood in my underwear and a bit of blood tinged clear fluid as well (i believe from my anus), no odor but the swelling had subsided dramatically. My question is that since then (2 weeks roughly) whenever i use the bathroom at the end i notice that the water is red and i have been bleeding quite a bit from the anus. The blood is bright red and there seems to be quite a bit when i wipe, is this part of the process as my doctor basically said it was fine but i am still concerned? I am 32, male, bit overweight, eat healthy, caucasian, overactive (i think) thyroid. I have had the fissure for approx 8 months but the anal sinus infection for only about 3 months.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 46 minutes later

Anal sinus infection is not expected to bleed so much so as to cause reddening of the toilet water.

The watery discharge you had after the train journey was a discharge from the infected sinus which subsided the infection and you felt a relief.

The amount of bleeding you are having is definitely something which is alarming. It is most likely the bleeding anal fissures.

These need to be treated with drugs like calcium dobesilate and tranexaemic acid after examination by your treating physician.

Also keep on monitoring your hemoglobin levels as sometimes the bleeding from fissures is so heavy that it causes anemia.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Anal fissure,lump,rectogesic cream,bleeding,infection,swelling,overweight 1 hour later
Thank you for your time. I will book in with my GP again. I just wanted to check as i live in Rural Australia and a GP visit can be a few months wait.

Thank you again for taking the time to answer my questions.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 36 minutes later
Hello again,

I appreciate your concern towards health.

I understand your need.

Thanks again for writing in.

I will also be available for your future health related queries if any.