Anal fissure. Is Fucidin ointment the right medication?

Will fucidin ointment work on anal fissure

I have had an anal fiscures for a long time gets quiet painful at times..I had a lot of stitching after my four children were bleeds when constipated.. I take laxatives when needed.. I just want to know what ointment I could use for a good result.. I have tried anusol and retinal..I have some fucidin at home.. Could you suggest an ointment.. Thankyou.
Posted Sat, 23 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 25 minutes later
Fucidin ointment is and antibiotic.While it may help with skin infections, it may not be fully effective in anal fissures.A steroidal application may help better like Anovate/Proctosil. Also if you apply lignocaine jelly the pain will decrease.

Follow-up: Anal fissure. Is Fucidin ointment the right medication? 24 minutes later
How long can you use a steroid ointment before in causes damage..and can you buy lignataine gel as a sole ingredient.. I thought it was always added to other surgery an option or does it cause bowel incontinence in later life.. I am very fit and this problem is very annoying.. Thanks a bunch..
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
You can apply a steroid ointment safely for a couple of weeks. Yes you can get lignocaine jelly in the market. Surgery is of course an option but only in severe cases.
Mostly it can be treated medically.In continence doesnt occur in most cases.

Follow-up: Anal fissure. Is Fucidin ointment the right medication? 10 hours later
Thankyou for that.. So I can feel safe in using a steroid ointment for 2weeks.. And will this heal the fissure .. I have only used steroid ointment..dermaid contains hydrocortisone 1percent for 3days as I was told not to use any longer by pharmisist.I had no result from that and have repeated it over a long period of time but at long intervals apart. Can the ointment you suggested be purchased over counter or is it by perscription..very happy with your service..
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 11 hours later
You can use a topical steroid for longer that a week but wont heal you completely. It will act as an analgesic and anti inflammatory. Your symptoms will recede but after some weeks may flare up again.Just use the proctosil ointment,which you may possibly get over the counter.Keep your stools soft by increasing fibre in your diet. Sit in a tub of warm water,it should help decrese the pain and swelling.
Even after a few weeks of treatment if your symptoms persist you should see your doctor for a proctoscopy.