Anal and scrotum itch, negative stool test. Had prostatitis. Done sigmoidoscopy. Could it be an STD, skin infection or lice?

Orthopaedic Surgeon

I will begin with a quick background of my medical history. About 6 months ago I saw a urologist for issues, which was later determined to be chronic non-bacterial prostatitis. The urologist originally prescribed me cipro for a month long course before he knew what I had. I later had one of those procedures where they view the penis and he determined I had the prostatitis. Around the time of my cipro treatment, I developed an itchiness in my anus. The urologist originally recommended anti-fungal creams, which I tried, but they did nothing to help the itch. He sent me to a gastroentonologist. They performed a sigmoidoscopy, at which time they notified me everything looked good. They had me try citrucel fiber pills and special probiotics. Neither of these have helped the anal itch. They said maybe I should try seeing a dermatologist next. In the past week or so, my scrotum has also started to itch a bit, although there also is nothing visibly wrong with my scrotum.

Both doctors have not seen anything visible on my butt. I have had my stools tested, all the results were negative. My question is, could the doctors be missing anything? Should I have other tests performed? Could it be an std, skin infection, lice, etc?? What doctor should I try to see? Also, please let me know if I should forward this question to a specialist if there are any that can help with these questions?

Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 6 hours later

I can understand the concern that you are facing in regard to this problem.

Have you been having diarrhea and losing weight recently ?

Anal itching can be caused due to many factors like acidic diet, lactose intolerance, lack of fibre in diet, bowel incontinence, parasitic infestation like Pinworm infestation, minute anal fissures, sexually transmitted infections as well.

Since Doctors have examined your anal region and not found anything significant, it could be something with your diet. Avoid fatty, oily, spicy diet. Avoid milk and milk products for some time as persons with lactose intolerance can have acidic stools and anal itching as a result. Do consume a diet XXXXXXX in fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Apply moisturizing cream like Dermaveen cream on the itching area of anus and scrotum twice a day for a week. If there is no improvement you must consult a leading Dermatologist to get tested for infections.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.