Amyl nitrate splashed into nose and throat. Cleaned with water and induced vomiting. Anything else to do?

Question
I had some poppers (amyl nitrite) splash up my nose and down my throat. I have been flushing with water and induced vomiting. Is there anything else I can do?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 48 minutes later

I think you did the right thing for now. Ample amount of water is used for splashing. You further ensure breathing fresh air as pollutants can cause more problems.

Keep a watch of symptoms, you may feel dizzy when you are changing postures. A mild headache is OK, if you have severe one with vomiting, please rush to ER.
Absolutely no alcohol and smoke for next 24 hours.

Hope I answered your query, if you have any follow up queries I am available for answer.

DISCLAIMER: This Expert advice is based upon history as provided by the individual. But since the practice of medicine requires a face to face encounter including a clinical examination, no Physician - Patient relationship has been established here. Hence this guidance is not tantamount to a medico-legally valid consultation. Please consult your nearest physician before acting on the advice.

Follow-up: Amyl nitrate splashed into nose and throat. Cleaned with water and induced vomiting. Anything else to do? 16 minutes later
My nose and throat have a burning sensation From where the liquid amyl nitrite went down my nose and into the back of my troat...I am drinking water..should I do anything else or need to go to ER?

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 17 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX ,

I would consider the drinking good amount of water will suffice, Since it has dilating effect on the blood vessels , it would be advisable to drink cold water which can prevent congestion of the mucosa in the throat caused by the drug.

Wish you Good Health

Disclaimer: The Expert’s advice is provided for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, as a complete assessment of an individual has not taken place. Please consult your nearest physician before acting on it. The advice is not valid for medico-legal purposes also.