Am pregnant, prescribed Duphaston. History of missed abortion. Is it safe and necessary for me to take Duphaston?

Hello sir,
I am 4 weeks pregnant now.

I had a 6 weeks missed abortion followed by a D&C 2 years ago. The follow up tests for thyroid and Torch and etc were all fine. No other complication felt. I had regular periods throughout. At present also I have no bleeding or other discomfort. I visited my gynae and she has prescribed me 2 tablets daily of DUPHASTON (10 g) along with folic acid.

I want to know whether it is safe and necessary for me to take Duphaston at this stage. Are there any side effects of this drug? Does it avoid the chances of miscarriage?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 6 hours later

Duphastone is a progesterone tablet, often prescribed to pregnant women. It helps in giving hormonal support to the pregnancy and it is one of the safest medicine. In your case with one missed abortion in past, I believe for prevention your Gynecologist has prescribed this. In my opinion you should continue it. Duphastone helps in prevention of miscarriages occuring due to progesterone hormone deficiency.

Best wishes