Am pregnant, light spotting, cramping, no history of miscarriage. Should this necessitate an earlier appointment?

I am 10 weeks pregnant and yesterday as well as today I have noticed light spotting. It's very light and I haven't had any cramping. I don't have a history of miscarriages or complications during pregnancy. I'm not any medication either. I have had intercourse and this is when the spotting first appeared. I was planning on going in to find out the sex of the baby at 15 weeks and was wondering if this necessitated scheduling an earlier appointment
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later

Hi there. Thank you for posting your question. I will do my best to help you.

The most likely explanation for your light spotting is cervical erosion. During XXXXXXX intercourse, this is being pressed on, thus the bleeding.

A second possible explanation would be threatened miscarriage. I would put this as a 10% shot only. I do not think that you need reschedule your doctor's visit unless the bleeding gets heavier and that is not likely to happen in my opinion.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.