Am pregnant, had cramps and bleeding after tennis, ultrasound showed bleeding between cervix and yolk sac. Concerned

May 2013
Hello, my wife is 6 weeks pregnant with our 5th child. She has had no problems with the other four, apart from a retroplacental hematoma with number 4, but it resolved and all children were born live and healthy. She is 38 years old, and in generally good health, of normal height and weight, but suffers from chronic gastritis, for which she takes omeprazol. She also has mild vitiligo which started about two years ago, and seems to suffer from raynaud's syndrom since about the age of 18. A few months ago she tested XXXXXXX positive, but only slightly elevated (according to the doctor. i don't know the exact levels). A week ago, after playing 1 hour of pretty vigorous tennis, after showering she began strong cramps and bleeding. we went to the emergency room, but after a while it passed, and since then there has been no more bleeding or cramping. The cramps were about a 5, and the bleeding was approx 1/2 a cup of bright, watery blood. The ultrasound showed a yolk sac of about 5.5 weeks (we thought she was a week longer than that but since this was our first month trying it's quite possible conception happened later than we had calculated). The only abnormality was the area of bleeding which was located between the cervix and the yolk sac. apart from that everything seemed ok. We are obviously concerned after reading about a higher rate of miscarriage with XXXXXXX positive people, even though the doctor said nothing to us about it. I was hoping to get some clarity, as going through the public health system here in the UK is just awful and we are getting very few answers as to what the problem could be and how to treat it.
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

according to your narration,
-as stress can increase the symptoms of raynaud's syndrome cramps my be because of that,
by playing there will be loss of electrolytes, that imbalance can also lead to muscle cramps.

-as per the studies there is no strong evidence to prove that raynaud's syndrome can cause miscarriage, preterm birth is said to be common but that is also in few cases only.
so the bleeding of your wife could be possibly because of vigorous playing of tennis which might have led to disruption of some vessels in between placenta and decidua, the area of bleeding you mentioned may be subchorionic hematoma because of that.
which will resolve soon usually.

as she complete previous four pregnancies without problem and now with mild elevation of XXXXXXX levels, there may not be any severe problem in this pregnancy.

anyhow you continue with regular checkups and ultrasound examinations for monitoring the progress, let her routine medicines.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.