Am pregnant, advised Mebex to deworm and continue iron supplementation for Hb. Is it okay to take it?

I am 29 weeks pregnant. HB level: 8.2. I am taking regular oral dosage of Iron, Folate, Vitamin C and Calcium Supplements, but my HB is not increasing.

I had been given 1 Imferon 50mg Iron injection 3 days back. It gave me some side effects after 1~2 days like, darkening of injection site (butt), slight nose bleed, headache, body ache, and some fever. I am feeling better today.

Now, my Doctor stopped the injection dose further.

I am advised a Mebex tablet for 3 days to deworm, and continue iron supplementation. Please provide your advise if it is ok to have it during the pregnancy.

If yes, how do I take the dosage? Please adivse best course of action for me.

Thank You!

Regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 8 hours later
The treatment which your doctor is giving is justified. Mebex is given for deworming and it is not harmful in this trimester of pregnancy as seen in studies ( to be avoided in first 3 months of pregnancy).
Regarding cause of anemia give your blood sample for perpheral smear,MCV, MCH, MCHC, TIBC, ferritin, reticulocyte test if not given. Urine sample to rule out infection and stool test for ocult blood. You should have a consultation with haematologist to find out the cause.
If you think your diet is inadequate because of vomiting etc, then consult your doctor for medicines to stop vomiting. Diet XXXXXXX in iron are bengal grams, XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, fruits like XXXXXXX pomegranate and jaggery. Take lemon and citrus fruits like orange, milk and milk products along with protein powder.

Best wishes
Follow-up: Am pregnant, advised Mebex to deworm and continue iron supplementation for Hb. Is it okay to take it? 4 hours later

I do not know, how I should take Mebex. Can I take Mebex with the lunch meal?

I have also uploaded few reports which were done, please check them.

My doctor also advised to take a test for "Type of Anaemeia". Would it cover reticulocyte and ferritin test. Please advise.

Thanks for your advise.

Best Regards,
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 3 hours later
You can take mebex after lunch meal. I have seen your reports suggestive of deficiency of iron so take diet as I have mentioned earlier.
You can ask lab person to check reticulocyte and ferritin along with the test your doctor has advised.

Best wishes