Am pregnant. Why is L-arginine prescribed for daily use?

dear doctor , i am 4 weeks pregnant. why is 2 satchet of L- Arginine prescribed to me to be taken daily?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 2 hours later

These are amino acids. Arginine is given for the proper growth of the fetus to prevent intrauterine growth retardation.

It can be taken bi-weekly.

If you want to know anything else you are welcome.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Am pregnant. Why is L-arginine prescribed for daily use? 3 hours later
dear doctor, I hav been prescribed to take 2 satchets of L-Arginine daily in my 4th week of pregnancy. Will it be safe to take the prescribed dose? Should I moniter for any side effect?
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 35 minutes later

In my personal opinion any drug in overdose should not be given first trimester of pregnancy as there are no evidences and proofs regarding its side effects.

I give this drug in second and third trimester in cases where blood pressure is high. I give one XXXXXXX twice weekly. As it dilates the blood vessels so it can lower the blood pressure.

Never mind if you have taken two sachets, they are not going to do any harm except abdominal belching in some cases.

It is better to take natural supplements for L arginine as well as DHA in first trimester such as fish, sardines and salmon, egg white, pulses etc.

Folic acid or its active form L methylfolate is must in first trimester.

Best wishes for the new born.