Am pregnant. What drugs can I take to abort fetus? When did I conceive?

I am 34 years old and 4 weeks pregnant. What drugs can I take to abort fetus and can I still get pregnant in the future?
The first day of my last period was XXXXXXX 15, 2012. When did I conceive the baby and when will be my due date?
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 50 minutes later
Your last periods started on 15th XXXXXXX . So, you most likely conceived on 29-30th XXXXXXX if you have a regular 28 day cycle. Your due date will be 22nd March, 2013.
methotrexate,mesoprostol and mifiprestone) is effective if pregnancy is less than seven weeks. Get an ultrasound done to confirm the period of gestation. If it is less than 7 weeks ( looks like 5 weeks in your case) then MTP by medical methods can be done.

For this purpose, you need to get an examination done and the drugs prescribed from your gynecologist. You will be asked to come to the clinic and then oral mifiprestone tablet will be given to you. If your blood group is Rhesus-negative you will have an Anti-D injection.

Then you will be asked to come back from home after 6 hours or 2 days later. At this visit, misoprostol tablets are placed in the vagina. The misoprostol tablets will cause you to have cramps and bleed heavily. This usually starts about 2 hours after using the misoprostol and the process of abortion is completed within 4 or 5 hours after taking the misoprostol.

After abortion, you will have to take a repeat ultrasound to check the status of pregnancy. If there are any retained products of conception then you may need a D+C (dilatation and curettage).

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Am pregnant. What drugs can I take to abort fetus? When did I conceive? 15 hours later
Good morning Dr. Tayal.

Thank you for answering my question. I really appreciate it.

Are the abortion pills safe? Will it ruin my chance of getting pregnant again in the future? I have been doing some research online and according to the sources, the abortion pill is much safer than the surgical abortion...what is your opinion on this? Have you heard of high doses of Vitamin C (example, 6000mg/day) intake to cause miscarriage(s)? - that it stops the progesterone. Alot of women claimed it works and it is least toxic. Does conceiving mean the day I had sex?

I'm sorry I have alot of questions. I just want to gather all the information as best as I can so I can make the right decision.

Thank you :)
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Abortion pills are safe but are associated with many side effects like any other pills. In comparison with a surgical abortion, D&C is a safer procedure as there is lesser bleeding and earlier recovery with no cycle disturbances.
There is almost no effect on future pregnancies in both the cases if you try for your next pregnancy after six months.
High doses of vitamin C are not likely to produce a complete abortion.
The day of conception means the day you had sex.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.