Am pregnant. Want to take MTProst Kit for abortion. Should I take it or another alternative?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
i don't know how much days before i became pregnant but i escape my period in last month and in this month every month my period used to come in between 27th -5th but from February it doesn't came so please sugest me that abortion pill should i take it or not ? My Last period came between 27th XXXXXXX to 1st Feb. I have got an abortion pill MTProst Kit, a Cipla product. Should i take it or please suggest alternate solution
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Please do not take any abortion pill on your own without consulting your gynaecologist.
First of all you should confirm your pregnancy by a home urine pregnancy test, then consult a gynaecologist doctor and get an ultrasound done to confirm the gestational age (, in weeks), and to rule out any complications like ectopic pregnancy or placental abnormalities.
Depending on that the abortion pills may be prescribed by your doctoror the surgical termination may be done if required.
Remember that unsafe abortion at home can lead to life threatening bleeding and sepsis.
Since you do not know the exact gestational age of pregnancy there are more chances of incomplete abortion if the pregnancy is advanced and requires surgical evacuation.The MTprost pill are mostly used for early first trimester abortions and are hormonal pills which are not without sideeffects
Such a condition may land you in more trouble.
Please do not panic and for a safe and effective abortion contact only an authorised experienced gynaecologist.
Hope I have answered your query
Wish you good health.

Since your last menstrual period was on 27th January , it has been more than 2 months since you have had your periods and you have been missing periods for these two months.

If there is a history of unprotected intercourse then chances of pregnancy are always there. If you are pregnant then it would have been around close to 10 weeks pregnancy by now.

You should not take the abortion pills without a doctor’s advice and moreover at 10 weeks pregnancy it will not be useful. Medical termination of pregnancy(MTP) by pills(methotrexate,mesoprostol and mifiprestone) is effective only if pregnancy is less than seven weeks. Anytime past seven weeks requires surgical abortion.

Hence consult a gynecologist and discuss about the MTP options with her. Please do not try any abortion at this stage as the status of pregnancy by getting a serum HCG test needs to be done first.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.