Am pregnant. Baby has bilateral talipes and echogenic bowel. Should I go for amnio now?

May 2013
I am 24 weeks pregnant now. baby detected with bilateral talipes and echogenic bowel. Should i go for amnio now? there is no family history of chromosomal disorders. and if any chromosomal disorder is recognized, is it safe for termination after 25 weeks?
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

according to literature echgogenic bowel and talipes are associated with chromosomal disorders like trisomy18, 21, 13 etc,
though just by these two we cannot conclude the chromosomal anomaly,but better to rule out to be on safe side,
so you can go for amniocentesis to rule out the chromosomal anomaly,
though there is no family history we can not completely exclude the possibility of chromosomal anomaly,
if at all any abnormality is recognized and that found to be lethal for baby, better to terminate,
usually abortion is adviced up to 20 weeks only, but if anomalous baby is there, it has to be terminated at any gestational age, it will be like XXXXXXX labor,
so better to undergo amnio hopefully there may not be any chromosomal anomaly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.