Am post menopausal. Got some clear liquid from vagina. What is this?

May 2014

I have had a clear liquid draining from my vagina since last night. am post menopausal, and have not had intercourse for several days.
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 7 hours later
Brief Answer: ?Atrophic vaginitis,gynecology consultation please Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail If you are post menopausal and not having any other symptoms like pain or foul smelling discharge, you might be having atrophic vaginitis and is seen in many post menopausal women. It is usually symptomless but can cause symptoms like dryness of the vagina which is very common. Other symptoms seen are burning or itching of the vagina or vulva, painful intercourse (Dyspareunia). Women may also have vaginal discharge (usually white or yellow), vaginal bleeding or postcoital bleeding and urinary symptoms. This condition happens because of the falling estrogen levels in post menopausal women. Even though these symptoms look like that of atrophic vaginitis, it is essential that you do not ignore your symptoms and consult your gynecologist and get clinically examined. As you have not mentioned about any vaginal bleeding problems, it will help if you get a PAP smear done as a routine test. If it Is atrophic vaginitis, your gynecologist will give you hormone creams and moisturisers. If there is any infection, antibiotics will have to be given. Hope your query is answered. Do write back in case of doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek