Am mobility impaired, controlling sugar intake. What should blood sugar reading be at bedtime and in the morning?

I am mo bility impaired and am mostly confined to a wheelchair. I do ambulate with crutches for short distance. I have been watching my sugar intake as I have many health challanges and don't need more.To this point I control with diet only and I want to do that if possible. What should my blood sugar reading be at bed time and when I awake in the morning?
Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Anantharaman 5 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

I am a certified Endocrinologist. It's good that you watch your sugar intake; continue doing that irrespective of what your glucose is.

The fasting blood glucose (early morning sugar) is usually below 100 mg/dl and any post meal glucose value for example at bed time should be less than 140 mg/dl.

It's a good idea to screen yourself for diabetes by undergoing a fasting glucose and a 2hr post 75 g Glucose tolerance test - its more sensitive for detecting abnormal glucose metabolism than random values measured by a glucometer. Everyone above 40 yrs of age needs to undergo the test at least once in 3 years.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.