Am i suffering from diabetes inspite of my father's history for diabetes?

am a 20 year old lady who is a virgin. i have treated several virginal infection right from age 10 I think. about 2months ago I started having serious itching around my privates with rushy discharge which I got treated for and got better....then last week d itching started again and I pulled off my pant because I was feeling uncomfortable and when I picked it up to wash the next day I saw ants on worried because my father was diabetic.
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Worth checking blood test for diabetes Detailed Answer: Dear patient, Thanks for your query; it is indeed a puzzling scenario; many centuries ago, patients were asked to urinate on the ground, and hours later the physician would check for the presence of ants, because sugar gets spilled into urine; frequent yeast infections are common in diabetics and you have a family history of diabetes; therefore, 3 good reasons to get checked for this. A fasting blood glucose would be the simplest, cheapest test, but if positive needs to be repeated; a Hemoglobin A1c on the contrary needs to be done only once. Hope this helps, wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic