Am diabetic. Redness after using Novolin. What are the causes and your suggestions for it?

Diabetologist
Question
diabetic site redness with novolin R that I use 3-4 times per day. Causes and suggestions. changing needles everytime.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. L K Shankdhar 10 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Redness after NOVOLIN-R which is a brand of regular Human Insulin is quite common in the beginning and simply indicates a foreign body reaction to an outside product. Usually it passes off in due course of time. I would like to know how long you are using this Insulin.

If you substitute your Insulin with Humalog (Lilly) or Novorapid (Novo Nordisk) which are quite similar to Novolin, there is a possibility that redness may not occur. These Insulins are Analog Insulins.

With best wishes

Prof. LK Shankhdhar

Follow-up: Am diabetic. Redness after using Novolin. What are the causes and your suggestions for it? 12 minutes later
one month or longer

Answered by Dr. L K Shankdhar 2 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
I would advise you to better change the Insulin from Novolin-R to either of the 2 mentioned above [Humalog (Lilly) or Novorapid (Novo Nordisk)]
Hope this helps. I would be available for follow ups. Please close this discussion if you have no more questions.
Prof. LK Shankhdhar