Am I having hard bumps on lips due to herpes on genitals?

Jan 2014

I am 46,M,270,good health. Have herpes on genitals. Not sure what kind. I have 4 small hard bumps on my upper lip just inside. Don't hurt, don't itch. I use a lot of lip balm as my lips get dry and peel. I pick at them a lot if I don't use the balm. I was wondering if these bumps might be the herpes spreading to my lips?
Posted Thu, 9 Jan 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need more information+picture Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX I would like to gather some more information from you in order to be able to help you better. How long have these bumps been present? Do they recur after healing? Are they fluid filled? I would be greatly helped if you can send me a picture of the affected area with good clarity. take care
Follow-up: Am I having hard bumps on lips due to herpes on genitals? 41 minutes later
I just noticed them yesterday. So I don't know about recuring after healing. They do not seem to be fluid filled. I do not know how to include a pic. I have one.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Not Herpes Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for the picture. The picture does'nt seem to suggest herpes. It seems that they could be arising due to accumulation of secretions in the mucosal glands normally present on the lip mucosa. They should resolve on its own. I would advice that you apply a antibacterial ointment like mupirocin 2% over them for 5-7days take care
Follow-up: Am I having hard bumps on lips due to herpes on genitals? 6 hours later
Thank you for your reply. I wanted to include something, this morning the bigger of the bumps was slightly larger, not a lot just enough to notice. Still same color, still hardm not fluid filled. Also I seem to recall some muscle twitching or maybe tingling a couple days ago. I'm not sure, I may just be paranoid. Thank you so much.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Interesting new information Detailed Answer: Hi. Hmm... The new finding, specially the symptom of tingling are interesting. Prodrome of herpes can present with such symptoms of tingling, burning etc. These symptoms are not invariably present in all patients but could be a clue. Some patients don't complain of any such symptoms at all. The picture does'nt seem to suggest herpes as of now. I could'nt see any vesicles in it. I would suggest you keep a watch for that area for a day or two. If that area develops fluid filled vesicles then it could very well be herpes!! If it does'nt even after a day or two, then herpes seems unlikely. Mupirocin should be applied anyways. keep me informed take care regards