Am I getting tingling due to Zoloft?

ENT Specialist
i was recently weaning down on Zoloft but have been on the same dose now for over a month. I get these electrical shock like feelings through my body seeming to end with lip tingling. I thought at first it was from the weaning down but now I'm not sure. I seem to be ok if sitting down but as soon as I get up it starts all over again.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 31 minutes later

As you have stated that you are suffering from long term depression, and you are on following medications like zoloft, clonazepam, vit d, vit b complex.

Now I will discuss about each of the drug---

1- zoloft( sertraline)--IT is an SSRI, used mainly in severe depression, panic attacks. its side effects are nausea, vomiting, muscle cramps, lethargy, diarrhoea, rach , itching , fever etc, you may experiance none or any of the following. But weaning of this drug will not cause any sympton, coz it is not an OPIOID, only opioids cause withdrawl symptoms.
So, the symptoms you are experiencing are not due to weaning of this medicine.

2- clonazepam-- it is an anti anxiety drug, the symptoms you are facing are again not due to this.

3- vitamin b and d supplements cant cause such symptoms.

In my opinion your diagnosis is the neurogenic pain-- the patients presents with the pricking pain in the hands and the face or any part of the body.

What to do for neurogenic pain.---

You will have to take methylcobalamine with gabapentin , once a day capsule, it will decrease the excessive firing rate of nerves , which are causing pain.

Along this take tab carbamazepine, it is very useful for all the neurogenic pains.

Add these 2 medicines with your routine drugs.

Take this for 15-20 days, after and i am sure that you will be absolutely all rite, with in this period.

Don't worry, it is a very common condition.

Hope this will help you, and I am ready for the future followups.