Am I at high risk for a fistula tear after a hysterectomy?

Question
Am I at high risk for a fistula tear after a hysterectomy? What signs should I look for, my shoulders, back are hurting.
Posted Wed, 24 Oct 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later
Hi
Thanks for the query

The fistula is always formed between two tracts like the trachea and esophagus, intestine and skin etc. During hysterectomy there is complete removal of the uterus. so there is no hollow structure left to form the fistula. however if you still want to know about the signs of fistula, there is blind tract with some discharge coming out from the fistula that is continuous.

if you still have some query, feel free to ask

Thanks

Follow-up: Am I at high risk for a fistula tear after a hysterectomy? 2 minutes later
What if the fistula was present prior to the hysterectomy and that is what caused my bowel to be perforated? I have a history of diverticulitsis.

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 10 minutes later
Thanks for the reply

If you already had fistula then that depends on the type of fistula. where were you having the fistula that is between which structures. if it was due to uterus which never have happened, so it is treated with removal of uterus.

As you already had history of diverticulitis then you don't have to search for any other cause. still for your information other causes of gut perforation include gastric ulcers, appendicitis, typhoid fever, some drugs like NSAIDs, trauma and ingestion of corrosives.

Thanks
regards

Follow-up: Am I at high risk for a fistula tear after a hysterectomy? 4 minutes later
Thank you Doctor - I do appreciate your time.

Am I at a higher risk for perforation of the bowel becasue of the diverticulitis?

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 12 minutes later
Thanks for the reply

One thing i forgot to mention is that fistula between colon and bladder or colon or pelvic organs can occur as a complication of diverticulitis.

The perforation is a serious complication of diverticulitis and no one knows when it can perforate however it is a treatable condition with antibiotics and bowel rest. however the diverticulosis requires surgical correction that resection of the colon. the patients having diverticulitis is always at risk for all its complications but that does not mean to panic you. as I stated it is curable condition so do have consultation with the gastroenterologist.

If you still have some query, it will be my pleasure to help you out

Thanks