Always sleeping, no hunger, no sexual desire, had multiple stomach surgeries, removal of esophagus and gall bladder

My husband sleeps all the time, not hungry and does not want sex. He has had several surgeries on his stomach and he usually eats every two hours. They did not cut the Vargas vein until the last surgery. They thought he had ulcers until the surgeon opened after he kept Bleeding and nearly died saying his stomach was like hamburger. They replaced his blood 8 times and removed 3/4 of his stomach. The last time they removed the rest of his stomach and part of his esophagus. Then they rearranged his organs and made a stomach. He recovered quicker and has seemed fine. He had gall bladder removed, at Georgetown. He was in the hospital for about one month. Now this. I am scared. He will not tell me anything. I show concern at times, but his answer is always the same. I fine.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later

Due to the multiple illnesses and surgeries, it seems that your husband is a bit depressed. He needs a good emotional support from you.

Early recognition and treatment will offer him the greatest chance of recovery, and the earlier he seeks help the greater the chances that recurrences can be prevented.

Treatment may include supportive therapy, such as changes in lifestyle and behavior, psychotherapy, complementary therapies, and may often include medication.

If the symptoms of depression are severe enough to warrant treatment with medication, he is most likely to feel better faster and for longer when medication treatment is combined with psychotherapy.

Once you seek help from a qualified health care provider, you will find that there are numerous treatment options to help him get back on track.

Many new effective medications are available which very well treat his symptoms.
I suggest you to get an appointment from a psychotherapist as soon as possible to know possible treatment options. Earlier the diagnosis, better will be the treatment.

Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.