Always been borderline bleeder, have begun to have blood spots like bruises on arms and legs. Suggest?

Question
I use sweet n low on a regular basis, have for years. I have always been a borderline bleeder. Lately I have begun to have blood spots(bruiseing) everytime I bang my arms or legs,
Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 52 minutes later
Thanks for sharing your concerns,

Easy bruising is common with age. Although most bruises are harmless and go away without treatment, easy bruising can sometimes be a sign of a more serious problem.

This is because small blood vessels are easily broken by trauma or impact, this can be red or dark purple patch, and it is reabsorbed by your body without leaving any XXXXXXX Usually cause is aging capillaries and thin skin and loss of subcutaneous fat. Sun exposure is also possible cause.

Some drugs can cause like blood thinners (Aspirin and Clopidogrel) if someone is taking fish oils.
I am glad to know that your blood pressure is well controlled with drugs let me know what drug you're taking. If bruise is unusually large painful and associated with nose bleed or bleeding gums needs medical attention may indicate low platelets.
We may need to check complete blood count and coagulation tests like Bleeding time,clotting time and Prothrombin time.

Avoid minor trauma, Long-sleeved shirts and pants can provide an extra layer of protection for your skin.
If the bruise is swollen, apply a cold compress and elevate the affected area.
Hope this information is useful and if you have any further query please ask me I will be happy to help.
Regards.
Dr.Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Follow-up: Always been borderline bleeder, have begun to have blood spots like bruises on arms and legs. Suggest? 1 hour later
I take 300 mg Avapro 1xdaily, Also Torsemide 1 x twice a week for fluid retension, I also am being treated for renal insuficency. Blood work checked everu 3 months.

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 25 minutes later
Thanks for your follow up,

You are taking Angiotensin receptor blocker Irbesartan for blood pressure and Torsemide which is diuretic (water Pill).

Apart from aging drug can cause low platelet count so kindly arrange to check your blood count, just to be sure we do not miss anything.

Renal insufficiency may predispose to easy bruising and even low platelet count.
Hope this information is useful to you and keep me informed about progress.
I will be available for clarification if any.

Regards.
Dr.Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Follow-up: Always been borderline bleeder, have begun to have blood spots like bruises on arms and legs. Suggest? 10 minutes later
thank you, you have been very helpful.

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 4 minutes later
You are welcome,
I am really happy to help you, Please accept and rate my answer with good review.
Regards.
Dr.Akhilesh Dubey M.D.