Alternative to Lisinopril and Losartan that does not contain diuretics or potassium?

My pharmacist tells me that Losartan is not the best choice for African Americans. Is there a better H BP medicine other than Lisonopril and Losartan that also does not contain diuretics or potassium? I take Emergen C almost daily and it has 1,000 mg of vitamin c and other nutrients. It includes potassium and I want to make sure that it is compatible with Losartan 25mg. I am starting to feel some tingling in my feet from time to time and I hoping that this is not an interaction with potassium and vitamin C that also contains potassium. Thank you
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Alternatives to Lisinopril and Losartan.... Detailed Answer: Hi, Losartan use is associated with increased levels of potassium as well as potassium-sparing diuretics. When I prescribe Losartan to my patients, I usually ask them to check electrolytes levels every 3 months. I also avoid combination of Losartan with potassium-sparing diuretics to prevent hyperkalemia. Lisinopril also causes the kidney to retain potassium, increasing the levels of potassium in the blood. Both of them do not contain diuretics unless you use a combination of such drugs with diuretics (commonly with hydrochlorothiazide). Furthermore, to my knowledge, no study has concluded that these drugs are not appropriate for African Americans unless individual contraindications. Emergen C you are taking contains also potassium. If you are using such HBP medicines and Emergen C simultaneously, this combination would cause problems with hyperkalemia. I suggest to discuss with your doctor about adding diuretics like hydrochlorothiazide or furosemide according to your cardiac tests and blood pressure. I also suggest to measure the levels of electrolytes in the blood and to re-consider the use of Emergen C. Hope it helps! If you have other queries, do not hesitate to write me back! Dr.Albana